I LOVE CHRISTMAS. It was a very big tradition in my family growing up, and I’m hoping to make it a continuing tradition with Zachary. For most, my family included, Christmas usually means lots of parties, baked goods, a few drinks or two, and extra gravy on top of everything. This time of year is when people either forget or stop caring about how to be healthy. Yes there are lots of parties, family gatherings, open houses and events to which most of have turkey, gravy, stuffing, sweets, wine, beer, more turkey and lots of peer pressure, but does that mean you should just not care about your health over the Holidays?
Most people gain 5-10lbs over the Holidays (I have no evidence to prove this, but I’m guessing) and people use the above reasons as excuses to do so. People try to use these as “reasons” but let’s be honest, they’re simply excuses. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to sit here and say “don’t indulge” or “put down those sweets”, but what I will say is that you don’t need to eat everything and anything you can get your hands on for 14 days straight and not do any exercise!
If you’re looking for ways to be successful over the Holidays, here are a few tips.
- Before you go to a party, eat a full and balanced meal. I know this may sound strange because there’s going to be FREE FOOD, but why go to a party hungry where you don’t know what the menu is going to be? You know most parties are only going to be finger foods, and you also know that most party finger foods aren’t healthy. Protect yourself before you wreck yourself!
- Get your ass to the gym.. Our gym, Just Fitness, is only closed for 5 days during the holidays, and I assume most gyms are the same. Don’t throw away your hard work because you’re lazy or feel like crap because you ate too much. Go try out those new workout clothes and get a sweat on. OR, if your gym IS closed, try an at home workout. They can be quick and dirty and still kick your butt. I’ve got a few listed here.
- Give yourself a cheat or treat day or a few cheat/treat meals over the Holidays instead of going crazy for 8 days straight. You’ve worked so hard all year, you deserve a treat, but don’t ruin everything you’ve done by eating all of the cake in the world over a week. Remember, you can’t out train a bad diet.
- Eat clean outside of your “Holiday cheat meals”. Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, and limit your sugars. Keep it balanced!
- DO NOT say “I’ll start in the New Year”. This is the biggest cop-out that exists. Why put off to tomorrow what you can do today? Whether you’re a gym rat or want to get healthy for the first time, being active, eating well and being healthy is the BIGGEST way to prevent putting on Holiday weight!
Don’t stress too much about your Holiday eating habits but also don’t let them get out of control. Enjoy your time with your family and friends, but also keep what you’re putting into your body in the back of your mind.